Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Healthy Brownies- (Wheat Bread)

I just got a new Kitchen Aid mixer and have been trying to make wheat bread for about two weeks. Last night my husband told me we were out of bread and wanted to know if he should go to the store. Being the tight wad I am I told him, no I will just make some bread and it will save us money on gas and buying a loaf of bread. I have made bread three times before this, so in my head I am all ready the "BREAD QUEEN".
I went to get one of my cookbooks, but could not remember which recipe and cookbook I had been using to make the bread. I figured it was no big deal, so I put three cookbooks down on the table and randomly picked a book. I ended up picking the small book that came with my mixer. The recipe was nothing like I remembered. Two packages of yeast? Oh well that will work....I think.
I remembered (or maybe I dreamt) someone telling me to always heat the mixing bowl first before activating the yeast. That ended up being a great idea. When I have made bread in the past it was so hard that I have been able to use it for a door stop or a tool to keep trespassers off my property.But this bread was really soft and tasty.
I followed the recipe completely this time. Whew that is a relief. But only one problem I could find is that my bread was not very tall. Sure it is tasty and I didn't burn it, but why was it short? My pan was too wide! I have been using the wrong size of pan for baking my bread. It sure is tasty bread though, I just wish some one had told me not to use a Brownie sheet when making my bread. I guess I will have to suck up my pride and cheapness and go buy the right baking pan.

Basic Bread
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter
2 packages of active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
5-6 cups flower
If you would like step by step on how to make this (using the proper baking pan) please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment