Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cheaper by the dozen: Crescent Rolls

Yesterday, I told my mom about the soup I had made. She seemed very impressed about the soup, but then asked me if I was going to have crescent rolls with the soup. Crescent rolls!?!?! Doesn't she know how much those things cost? I was just thinking of using some crackers that might be a little stale.
I have been wanting to make crescent rolls from scratch, so this was a great opportunity to face my demons of baking. Unfortunately, I only found one of my cook books that had a receipt and it was a bit intense. I could not have imaged that a cook book would have two and half pages for just one little ol crescent roll. I decided to shove my cook book back into my over stuffed cabinet of cookbooks and search online for a recipe. I found one and I recommend this receipt.

Ingredients

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, salt and yeast mixture. Stir in enough flour until dough leaves the sides of bowl and is soft (do not knead). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Warning! Do not make these if you have had more than two glasses of wine. May cause you to forget to put in the salt!
I just finished half of them in the oven they look and taste great. I decided that 24 rolls for two adults and one baby was a bit too much. I cut the dough in half and put half of it in the freezer. I have no idea if that was a good idea or not. So I called my mom and she said yes but just for a week or two. I will let you know how the frozen ones turn out in a week or two.
Being very cheap I figured that it only cost me about $2.00 to make 24 rolls, instead of spending over $12.00  on the ones at the store. No wonder the Pillsbury dough boy was always happy and laughing. He was happy that he was taking all our money on a product that we can make our self's and save a lot of money. All I have to say is ..Who's laughing now Dough Boy, who is laughing now!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! and you ARE an amazing cook Stacey. I've had some of the best meals of my life when I lived with you and Geren and Guy and Bart ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! I am can't wait to make you a care package of food! Sorry, but there will not be any KFC Cchicken in the care package, I love you too much to do that to you!

    ReplyDelete